Radios, especially two-way handhelds, transmitted based on either VHF or UHF frequency, are governed by the country’s communication regulating body. They must be legally authorised by an official license from this group for mission-critical applications simply because of the unique frequency that always allows the end users to operate them securely.
But there are walkie talkies that can operate on “license-free” frequencies. These are known as personal mobile radio at 446Mhz (PMR446), as they are open for use without the need for licensing. Users do not have to make additional payments to operate them. They are generally more affordable. And because they have pre-programmed channels, there are no interference with licensed radios.
Why use license-free walkie talkies?
When you open a box of license-free radio, you are ready to use it (to operate efficiently, it is important to charge its battery and follow the user manual).
Why? These radios are low-powered devices with a maximum power output of up to 0.5 watts, making it ideal for communicating in short distances. What’s more, an unlicensed radio also delivers clear communications in the same way that they are easy to use daily. Here are other reasons why you should consider a license-free radio device:
- They are designed as a simple and cost-efficient mode of communication between users with both transmissions. Reception is still on the same channel (single frequency, simplex traffic)
- They operate on pre-defined frequencies that are suitable for smaller areas
- You do not need an extensive radio coverage enhancement to operate
There is a wide range of possibilities for using these radios that make them so ideal for smaller operations. Think about it: PMR446 radios already have pre-programmed channels for your convenience. Since there are no ongoing costs associated with them, the radios are ready to use out of the box, offering the following advantages:
- No license required
- Less expensive than licensed radios (cost of acquisitions is lower)
- No call charges
- No contracts
- Pre-programmed radio frequencies
A good product like this also has its downsides:
- Not suitable for emergency or mission critical situations like fire or police operations
- Interference from other license free radios within range particularly when users are already too far from each other or operating on the same pre-programmed channel. This causes unwanted traffic
- Radio coverage is significantly less
The specifications of these unlicensed handheld devices make them ideal for use in
- Event Management
- Banquet and Restaurants
- Small factories operations
- Small warehouse operations
- School events
- Road trips
- Landed properties (such as private estates)
What are the best license-free radio models?
Leading brands have manufactured their own PMR446 radio offerings and are widely accepted in so many areas. MacroVista offers a wide range of radios for different needs and requirements.
If you are in the market for these radios, you may want to consider the MVP 446 Plus. It is a compact yet amazingly light device encased in a polycarbonate material to make it durable for everyday communications. All-day operations will not be a problem because it is powered by a 1800mAh lithium-ion battery that provides up to 34 hours’ talk time.
Thanks to its significantly lower costs, instant voice quality, plus features such as pre-programmed channels, the license-free 2-way radios have remained the communication tool of choice for both business customers and personal users alike. Whether you are at home or on a school trip, license-free radios help you stay connected. Because of these factors, they remain popular – and even become increasingly popular – in the years to come.
Are you looking for license-free radios? We have the right brand for you today. Contact us through any of the following:
Tel: +65 67489773
Tel: +632 633 9578